Installing brand new custom cabinetry in your kitchen can help you refresh the space, bringing it up to date—especially if the kitchen had not been remodeled for years. However, a bad layout can kill a new redesign, so it’s important to spend some time planning out exactly where you will place your cabinets to achieve the best functionality possible.
Here’s some information about how to get the most out of the layout of your custom cabinets in Midland, MI:
- Use the working triangle: The working triangle is perhaps the most basic rule of planning kitchen spaces. You should be able to move easily between the three primary components of your kitchen without too much trouble, those being the sink, stove and refrigerator. It shouldn’t be a trek for you to get from one of these spaces to another. Because the sink will be located among your cabinets and countertops and your stove or refrigerator could very well be set into them as well, this makes it important for you to think about the layout before you just start setting up cabinetry.
- Space between cabinets: You will need a minimum of four feet between rows of cabinets. So if you have a very small kitchen, it might be impossible for you to have cabinets directly across from each other, but you could make use of 90-degree angles in the corners.
- Leave room for things to open up: You need to have a certain amount of space to be able to easily move through your kitchen and to open up drawers on either side. You should also be able to open dishwasher or oven doors without them running into anything, and should have drawers and cabinet doors that can freely open without smacking into nearby cabinets and other kitchen items.
- Keep room for fixtures: It can help to plan out your cabinetry in a way that makes it easy for plumbers and electricians to access some of that infrastructure in your kitchen in case they need to come in and make repairs at any point.
- Use a professional: If you lack the confidence in your ability to design a cabinet layout of your own, it can’t hurt to seek out the assistance of a professional. Many home centers will have design software and people who are trained in using it. If you provide them with an accurate plan of the existing footprint of your kitchen, the staff will be happy to help. You can also bring this plan to your chosen cabinet or kitchen remodeling contractors so they can get a better sense of the space they have to work with and how they could potentially plan out the installation.
These are just a few tips to help ensure you get the most out of your cabinet layout. For more information about custom cabinets in Midland, MI, we encourage you to contact the team of cabinet builders at Nowak Cabinets of Midland—we’d be happy to answer your questions!
Categorised in: Cabinetry
This post was written by Writer