Maximizing closet space has long been a struggle for homeowners. Short of throwing everything you own away, it always seems like there is never enough space or flow no matter what you do. Fortunately, your experts in closet design in Midland, MI are here to provide you with six tips to consider for your new closet:
- Think about space: If you are planning a closet renovation, think about how much space you will need for all of your shoes, clothing and accessories. Perhaps you find during your inventory assessment that you need more space than you originally expected, and it might make sense to add a bit more room to the closet during the renovation.
- Organization is key: Before taking on any project, it is necessary to know exactly what you want to accomplish, and organizing your closet is no different. When organizing all of your clothing, group them with like clothes and start a pile for donation so you are not taking up space with things you no longer wear. This will give you a good idea of not only how much space you need, but what type of space and design you will need as well.
- Sharing is caring: If you will be sharing your new closet, keep in mind that men’s and women’s clothing will require different needs within the closet. For example, men’s shirts are typically longer than women’s, and differing accessories also require varying storage needs as well.
- Ease of use: The best designed closet is one that maximizes both storage and flow. With proper organization, you will be able to find the things you need quickly, which will help you save time when you are getting ready. To achieve this, establish good closet ergonomics by placing open shelving at waist height with drawers underneath so you can easily see what you are grabbing. Your socks and underwear can go in the higher drawers, while oft-worn items can be placed close to the ground.
- Keep your shoes up: Most people assume that shoes should always go on the floor in a closet, but shoes are best kept at waist height where you can see them. You can keep your shoes on shelves or, to maximize space, you could consider a pullout shelving system.
- Live it up: The whole idea behind designing a custom closet is to create something that you’ve always wanted, and most times this goes beyond just the organization of clothes. Consider additional enhancements to take the look of your closet to the next level, such as specialized lighting for different times of day, or an espresso maker to give you the jumpstart you need as you’re getting ready for work.
If you need help optimizing your space with a new closet design in Midland, MI, contact us at Nowak Cabinets of Midland. Specializing in superior craftsmanship and style, we offer custom cabinets, countertops and closets in a wide variety of styles so that we can make all of your design dreams come alive. For help creating the perfect closet that can maximize both space and time, make sure you give us a call today!
Categorised in: Closet Design
This post was written by Writer